Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Eyes of Faith

The Word is first...

Galatians 1:11-12

I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. 12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996 (electronic ed.). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.

Many people think of 'revelations' as some sort of wispy vision, dreams, appearances in the air or apparitions in the living room. It may be true that in some circumstances God does indeed choose to 'reveal' to people in this manner. But when I consider Jesus and the extraordinary manner in which he dealt with ordinary people, I believe that the vast majority of such 'revelations' are of a more common nature. By that I mean the 'revelation' is the revelation of Christ by the Spirit and the opening of the eyes of faith that we may see The Christ Jesus for whom He truly is.

As much as I long to gaze upon the face of the God-man who loved me so sincerely, as much as I long to linger upon his radiance, I am profoundly satisfied that I see Him clearly using my eyes of faith. And though my physical eyes ever search without seeing Him, I feel Him in my heart and know His power, presence, grace and glory. It is that revelation that brings about transformation, renewal and repentance.

So the story to which I testify is not one of folklore and fable, it shall not be found in the fiction section. Rather I shall live it out for it is my biography penned by The Spirit.

Peace,
Carl

1 comment:

Bill said...

And last night those of us who just happened to be at the BPM meeting in the Berry Patch had an encounter with God's presence/power much like that to which you were referring today. It was very real. But, at least by my weak writing skills, almost indescribable.

We had the "normal" devotional time; and then "as usual" I turned the meeting over to God's Spirit; but what happened then, as the men described their "week," was an outflow of God's presence like nothing I've experienced in over 10 years of doing BPM meetings.

It was "special," as the "Church Lady" would say. But I don't want to play it down with any levity. So, what you described in your blog today, Carl, is something which we should pray for and seek after; but who knows where God will show up to reveal Himself as He did last night.

I just want to be there as much as I can be as I live my life the way He intends for me to live it.

Nuff said ... but glad to have your blogging insights back here again ... Bill